So, it's been awhile but I'm back to documenting my process for creating new affiliate marketing sites. This step might be optional if you are starting a Niche Store, but it's definitely necessary for community forum sites and blog sites. Heck, I think it's necessary for any site if you want to get visitors right now. I'll be honest with you here, I never really got twitter. I mean, sure I had a Facebook account but that's about as far as I went with the whole social networking thing. Twitter just seemed like Facebook, only with just the status updates and nothing else and that didn't make sense to me. I figured it was something that teenagers were into.
Well, the truth is that twitter is an invaluable marketing tool for a few reasons.
- Google seems to really "love" Twitter. So, if people are tweeting @you it's probable that Google could index Twitter and see these @you links pointing back to your twitter profile and then back to the site you are promoting. So, having an active twitter following can really help with your search engine optimization.
- Heck, if you have a few thousand twitter followers then you'll get tons of traffic just from Twitter referrals. This is nice if you've just launched your site and you are impatient. That is to say, you don't want to wait around for 2 months for your organic traffic to start showing up. Just build your twitter following and get folks visiting your site from the get-go.
- Bird Feeder - Bird Feeder is a miracle. It makes it incredibly easy to build your Twitter following very rapidly. Effectively, each day you can un-follow Twitter account who aren't following you back, then make sure you follow everyone who newly started following you and then you can follow new users (based on things like keywords searches, hashtags, who they are following, etc). So, if your money site is all about doorknobs then you can follow users who use the word "doorknob" and then the word "vintage" or the word "antique" and not the word "sandwich". Or, if you find another twitter user with 20,000 doorknob-loving followers then you can just follow his followers each day. I'm only a few months into Affiliate Marketing but I already have a dozen twitter accounts each with 2000-3000+ followers. I couldn't have done it without Bird Feeder.
- Twitter Tools Plugin for WordPress - Twitter Tools is a great free plugin for WordPress. Basically, you can configure it to auto-tweet every time you post a new page or post in WordPress. Conversely you could also have it convert your tweets into blog posts, but I don't really see the point in that. Also, you can use the Twitter Tools sidebar showcase the last # of your tweets. I dig that because I fee like if I tweet @someone or retweet them then I've also effectively posted a link to their twitter page (and hopefully their site) on my page. So, it's a good way to help other folks out.
- TweetMeme Button for WordPress - TweetMeme is that little green button in the upper right of this page. It shows how many times your URL has been tweeted and it also makes it very easy for users to retweet your page, if they like it.
So, those are the Twitter software tools that I can't live without and why I think Twitter is an invaluable marketing tool. In my next Affiliate Journal post, I'll talk about other WordPress modules that I can't live without.